Day 21 Gemstone that take heat and Ultrasonic

Wow. today marks 3 weeks since I started this 90 day-in-a-row Blogging journey, I hope you are following along and having as much fun as I am. I am traveling today, so here is a little quick info for you to take with you:

Gemstone That Can Take Heat

Gemstones that can generally take heat from soldering and casting in place are: Diamond, Ruby, Sapphire, Garnet, Cubic Zirconia and Various lab grown colored gemstones.

Gemstones that can NOT take heat from soldering and casting in place are: Emerald, Opal, Jade, Amethyst, Topaz, Peridot, Coral, Aquamarine, Tourmaline, Topaz, Pearl, Lapis Lazuli, Turquoise and Onyx as these gemstones may burn, crack or discolor when exposed to high heat.

For soldering or casting in place, gemstones should be high quality, dimensions are accurate, free of flaws and inclusions that can turn milky, frosty or crack when heated.

Ultrasonics and Stones

Ultrasonics and Stones

Thanks for stopping by and coming on this journey with me.

Now go have a Great Day!

Doug

Never Miss Any New Content

Subscribe to get our latest content by email.

Powered by ConvertKit

8 Responses to Day 21 Gemstone that take heat and Ultrasonic

1. Stephanie June 21, 2014 at 12:10 pm #

So for stones that can’t take steam or ultrasonic, how do you get them clean after polishing?

• jewelrymonk June 21, 2014 at 12:13 pm #

I would clean with a soft tooth brush and soap. Then a polishing cloth.

2. Jen Hollywood-Showel (@jhollywoodd) June 21, 2014 at 3:59 pm #

Great chart – thank you! What do you think about moissanite?

3. janrau2012 June 21, 2014 at 10:28 pm #

Great chart. All the posts are so useful, very much appreciated, I am learning stone setting now so the blogs are very timely

Sent from my iPad

4. brisbane river July 23, 2014 at 3:45 am #

Your style is very unique compared to other folks I have read suff from.
    I appreciate you for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I’ll just book
    mark this site.

5. tom December 5, 2016 at 4:18 am #

Do the stones need to be cooled down slowly rather than quenched?

• Doug Napier December 5, 2016 at 9:33 am #

Tom, for steaming or a hot ultrasonic, there is no need to slowly cool the piece, it will not get over 212 degrees farenheight (100 celcius) which will not harm the majority of stones. Now if you are using a torch, you NEVER want to quench a piece with a stone after heating. The thermal shock will DESTROY the stone.
      Hope that helps.