Archive | Community

Day 54 Exciting Things to Come

BHRT Doug08 Cropped

Hey gang, Doug here again. Today I just want to thank everyone again for stopping by continually and give you a little peek into what to expect in the near future at JewelryMonk.com. I also need your help and input:

To give you a heads up, this is what to expect in the future:

First, I am in the middle of choosing a design logo for the JewelryMonk site, here are a few images. Please, if you don’t mind, look them over and let me know which one (or ones) you like. I am looking for something that captures what the site will be in the future. Just comment with the which one you like the best, 1,2,3,4, etc.

1.JewelryMonk1         2. JewelryMonk7

3.JewelryMonk2         4. JewelryMonk4

5.JewelryMonk6         6. JewelryMonk5

Second, there is a Podcast coming soon to talk about jewelry and to jewelers about different aspects of the craft. For some of you that are unfamiliar with what that is, it is an internet radio show that you can listen to at your convenience over the computer, via smart phone, and at your convenience whether at work, driving across town, or whenever.

logopodcast

If you notice, there is a new button to the right of this website that says “Send Voice-mail” if you click on this, you can send me messages, comments, and questions for the podcast. If I chose one of your questions, I will play your clip on the podcast and do my best to either answer the question, or find someone who can. Check it out!

Third, I am in the process of putting together a series of eBooks that will focus on different aspects of jewelry making like Soldering Basics, Stone Setting, Finishing, etc. These will be rolling out soon, let me know which one or ones that interest you and I will expedite them.

Last but not least, I also plan a Video Training Series in the near future along the same lines as the eBooks, with one on one consultation via email and Skype. Anything to help one another make better jewelry.

So, these are some of the things coming to you in the near future, so if you find value in this content, or if you like to keep an eye on the transformation of this site, make sure to Subscribe to this Blog Via Email (link in the upper right corner at www.JewelryMonk.com)

Thanks again for joining me on this journey, I really am excited to be here, and am just as excited to see where it will lead us…..

Take Care.

Doug, your JewelryMonk

Day 51 Website Re-design

Sunrise 2013 WAH

Hey all, JewelryMonk is still here, no tip today, I am in the middle of a website re-design, but I am still interested in your feedback as far as what topics you would like to see and hear on the site and on the up and coming PODCAST!

Thanks everyone for making this community and for following along on this wonderful journey.

Now go make something beautiful!

Doug

Day 50 Jewelry Safety, Community, and Thanks!

Jewelry, a Story of Community, Friendship, and Perseverance.

BHRT Doug08 Cropped

There is something about the community of jewelry makers that defies definition. It is as strong as family and its roots go as deep as oaks and blood and waters and history. The friendships I have made in this “family” over the years will last for the rest of my days, and the people who make up this community will stop at nothing to help one another. I was reminded of this fact this week when I posted a blog post where I had images of me polishing with gloves on, and the community came out in force. I have always harped about safety in jewelry making, that one mistake or lack of attention can be devastating. Polishing with gloves on was something I started doing a few years ago, always knowing that it was risky and paying particular attention to where my hands were at all times, but y’all have convinced me to toss the gloves in the trash and figure another way of keeping my fingers cool and clean.

This group is Awesome, thank you for your “calling me out”.

Thank you all!

Sincerely,

Doug

Day 42 Too Much Work Can Be a Bad Thing

Harney Peak 2014 7

Today my tip is about taking time off and getting re-charged.  

Harney Peak 2014 1

I have always been a “self-driven” person and there was a time, back in the late 90’s when I was in business for myself, I had more work than I could imagine and was determined to do it all myself. I was working 15 hours a day 6 days a week and quite a few hours on my day off. Times were good, the money was coming in, but after about 2 years of this, I was so burned out I was ready to walk away from jewelry all together. I had lost my passion and that was not a good thing…… I decided to drop it all and take a 9-5 job (actually a 7:00 – 3:45) It took me a while, but the passion came back.

Harney Peak 2014 4 Harney Peak 2014 12

Now I know when I need my batteries recharged and when I get to that point, I like to take some time and get away. That is what I am doing this weekend, getting away, getting out into nature and enjoying life. I find when I do this, it refills my passion, joy, and I get inspired once again. So that is my tip to you today, get out once in a while, don’t get burned out, and you just might find something that inspires you.

Acorns

Have a Refreshing Day

Doug

Day 33 Exciting Changes and Questions

Exciting Changes Coming!

Well today’s lesson will be less of a lesson for you and more of a lesson for me, and I will need your help, I am in the process of changing “domain hosts”, (computer geekery stuff) and hopefully you won’t notice and it will be seamless. But in the process, the site might be down for a bit. (I hope not) Over the 4th of July seems like a good time to change. I am also trying to create a good logo. (I welcome your input)

Well, good things are happening here at JewelryMonk.com, I am starting to do the groundwork and homework to start a weekly (or bi-weekly) Jewelry Making Podcast, kind of an internet radio program that you can listen to on your computer or your Smartphone. I will do some interviews of jewelers, tool reviews, jewelry tips, and whatever I can come up with.

logopodcast

But I could use your help.

I need some good questions about jewelry making that I can talk about on the first few programs, until I get my broadcasting bearings so to say. These programs probably won’t be too long, and I am going to try to give tips and such without the visual help of pictures or videos. (God help me) This ought to be interesting, but fun and a growing experience.

All this to say I would like your questions and input to add to the JewelryMonk Podcast. If you have something you want help with, tool suggestions, tips, etc. let me know and I will do my best to answer them. Honestly, I am a little intimidated by the whole idea, but I am willing to dive in and learn in the process. I figure if I ain’t learning, I ain’t going anywhere.

Wish me luck and stay tuned for an updated website and a podcast on this site and on itunes!

This is getting exciting!

Doug RaceTalk1

So go ahead and comment with some questions or subjects you would like addressed in the future podcast.

Thanks for getting what I am trying to do, now go shine your world.

Doug