Archive | Community

Wire and Sheet Gauge Conversion to Inches and Millimeters Chart

Another busy weekend ahead for me, so I will make this quick today. Here is  a little chart for quick conversions from wire or sheet gauge to either inch or millimeter thickness. Feel free to copy or print this out as a handy reference to hang on the wall next to your bench and share with your friends.

Wire Gauge Conversion

Now, I am getting ready to pick up and record the next JewelryMonk Podcast, and I have a couple of interviews lined up but I could use your help. Hopefully you have had a chance to listen to the first 2 episodes, but if not, you can go back and find them either on www.JewelryMonk.com/podcasts or search JewelryMonk on iTunes. Like I said though, I could use your help with a few “Listener Questions” to answer, so if you have any jewelry related questions you would like answered on the next few shows, send them in by either commenting here, send me an email at Doug@JewelryMonk.com, or better yet send me a voicemail by “clicking” the “Send Voicemail” link on the right side of this website. All you need is a computer with a built in microphone, which most do, or a smartphone. Send in a voice question and I will get it. Also if you have any ideas for interviews in the future you would like to hear, let me know and I will see what I can do.

Other than that, everyone have a great weekend, I will check in with you later.

Now, get out there and make someone proud of you.

Doug

Happy Labor Day Weekend

Hey all, no tips today, I am out of the office this weekend, so I just wanted to say “Have a Great and Safe Labor Day Weekend!”

Harney Peak 2013 (96)

I can’t believe summer is drawing to a close already, it has gone by so fast, especially with starting the JewelryMonk site and all.

So I just wanted to touch bases with everyone and say “Thank You for all your support in helping to build this site into what it is, and I look forward to growing it into a more helpful place in the upcoming months.

Stay tuned!

Now get out there and enjoy yourself.

Doug

Jewelry Feedback Today

Today is day 80 in my pursuit of 90 straight days of posting content to JewelryMonk.com, after this, I will change focus a bit, but still be creating helpful content.

No tips today but I am curious about  your jewelry making needs. I have been posting things that I find interesting and current, but today I am relying on the JewelryMonk Community to tell me what you struggle with as a jeweler. I am not making any promises that I can help, but I will try.

Have you ever fel’t you have run into a wall and have nowhere to turn for advice?

bricks

It has been a few years since I was a beginning jeweler, but I remember there were times when I wish I had a place to turn with questions and support. Here is your chance, I am still new at this blogging and advise giving site, but I do want to create a place where new and not so new jewelers can come and get advise and support. There are no “silly” questions, because I know I used to think I had questions that were silly, but when you don’t know something and you don’t know where to turn, you feel trapped and frustrated. So I am going to give you 3 options:

1. You can comment here or at JewelryMonk on Facebook, and I or someone else in the community will try and help.

2. You can send me an email at Doug@JewelryMonk.com and I will try to help.

3. You can send a “VoiceMail” by clicking the “Send Voicemail” tab on the right side of the website. These I will try to answer, or find someone who can on the JewelryMonk Podcast. (Either on the website or on iTunes)

Either way, I and others are here to help you hone your skills as a jeweler and as a member of the JewelryMonk Community.

I hope you are enjoying the Journey so far, stay tuned because we are going to create something good.

Now, go have a good weekend and put a smile on someone’s face, for no other reason than the fact that they need it.

Smile

Doug

Just Checking in…..

Hey everyone, I am out of town this weekend doing some more of that racing “stuff”. Jewelry only fills my adrenaline tank about 75 percent in the summer, so I have to “top it off” with this. I don’t have a tip for you other than don’t spend all your time at the bench, get out into nature and enjoy yourself once in a while with family and friends.

Hike

Check back tomorrow, I will be back at “it”, with more goodies.

Now go be great!

Doug

Day 54 Exciting Things to Come

BHRT Doug08 Cropped

Hey gang, Doug here again. Today I just want to thank everyone again for stopping by continually and give you a little peek into what to expect in the near future at JewelryMonk.com. I also need your help and input:

To give you a heads up, this is what to expect in the future:

First, I am in the middle of choosing a design logo for the JewelryMonk site, here are a few images. Please, if you don’t mind, look them over and let me know which one (or ones) you like. I am looking for something that captures what the site will be in the future. Just comment with the which one you like the best, 1,2,3,4, etc.

1.JewelryMonk1         2. JewelryMonk7

3.JewelryMonk2         4. JewelryMonk4

5.JewelryMonk6         6. JewelryMonk5

Second, there is a Podcast coming soon to talk about jewelry and to jewelers about different aspects of the craft. For some of you that are unfamiliar with what that is, it is an internet radio show that you can listen to at your convenience over the computer, via smart phone, and at your convenience whether at work, driving across town, or whenever.

logopodcast

If you notice, there is a new button to the right of this website that says “Send Voice-mail” if you click on this, you can send me messages, comments, and questions for the podcast. If I chose one of your questions, I will play your clip on the podcast and do my best to either answer the question, or find someone who can. Check it out!

Third, I am in the process of putting together a series of eBooks that will focus on different aspects of jewelry making like Soldering Basics, Stone Setting, Finishing, etc. These will be rolling out soon, let me know which one or ones that interest you and I will expedite them.

Last but not least, I also plan a Video Training Series in the near future along the same lines as the eBooks, with one on one consultation via email and Skype. Anything to help one another make better jewelry.

So, these are some of the things coming to you in the near future, so if you find value in this content, or if you like to keep an eye on the transformation of this site, make sure to Subscribe to this Blog Via Email (link in the upper right corner at www.JewelryMonk.com)

Thanks again for joining me on this journey, I really am excited to be here, and am just as excited to see where it will lead us…..

Take Care.

Doug, your JewelryMonk